Thursday, October 29, 2009

In memory of Private Troy Nealey



3 years ago today my friend Annette's son Private Troy Nealey was killed by enemy fire in Iraq. I received an email from her the next morning telling me she would not be able to attend my wedding (which was 5 days later) because Troy had been killed. I read the email at 6:00 AM and I will never forget that moment, sitting there in the dark with only the light of my computer, tears streaming down my face. I called my mom crying and couldn't imagine my friend's pain.

Troy had only been in Iraq for a month and he was 24 years old. He left behind his parents, 2 brothers and countless friends. He was very much into 4H growing up and in his memory, an award has been created to benefit kids who show their livestock. His mom presents the award to the winner each year. I know Troy is smiling down from heaven.

A week after my wedding I attended Troy's funeral. I had never been to a serviceman's funeral. It was the largest funeral I have ever been to, and it was so moving to see all of the veterans from previous generations lined up to greet all of the mourners. Troy's funeral was a beautiful tribute to a young man who served our country and whose light was extinguished far too soon.

Here is a video



Here is a memorial in Troy's home town of Eaton Rapids, MI

http://www.flickr.com/photos/dmalewski/3558376394/in/set-72157602100186330/

2 comments:

  1. So sad, may he rest in peace. My son's babysitter's husband is getting ready to go to Iraq on 12-31, i pray he's ok!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Heartbreaking. No one should have to bury their son.

    ReplyDelete