Got the news today that my favorite dog Kelly is going to Rainbow Bridge (aka pet heaven) tomorrow. She's a 12 year old black Lab whom I used to take on walks along with her brother all over our neighborhood. Their owners (my friends) moved to Boston at the end of last summer. Kelly has the fatty tumors that Labs get and I guess one of them is getting really bad and causing her pain. Today they are celebrating her last day - as I type this they are on the front porch having a birthday party for her. Earlier today they took her to the dog bakery, to the dog park, and to the dog wash. She is the most lovable, sweetest dog I have ever known and I have been bawling my eyes out all afternoon. She gave and received so much love in her 12 years. Although I said goodbye to her last August when we went on our very last walk before they moved, and I knew I would never see her again, my heart is sad. My friend Ann (Kelly's owner) is being so brave for her 3 children - creating happy memories today. I want to do something for the family. Does anyone have any ideas?

Oh my. We have a lab mix and he's 14! We've talked a lot about his last day and what it will be like.
ReplyDeleteOne of my students lost his dog and I had the dog's tags put into a frame/shadow box thing with a picture of the dog. I am trying to think of some other ideas....
So so sorry Kelly. That is so sad. I can't even think about this stuff with my own boys without crying. So I can only imagine how sad this is for you. Big hugs!
ReplyDeleteI am so sorry kelly, i've had to have a dog put to rest before and it's really, really hard. My mini-schnauzer just turned 14yrs old last week, and when his day comes it will be hard as well. Do you know if you friend is going to get the dog cremated? If so i've seen these heart lockets that hold a little big of the dogs remains, i think they were around $100, so beautiful.
ReplyDelete